Saturday, January 01, 2000

Schooling and Early Years

The first school that I attended to was in Hooghly, now in West Bengal. It was situated in the bank of river Hooghly. Sonaka and I used to (go to) attend our school on the back of our Khasi maid servant.

It was in Hooghly (that) I was bitten by a dog (which) belonged to the District Judge. Motika who happened to be present hit the dog with his hockey stick. The Judge who was a witness to the whole incident became angry when he saw that his dog was hit by my brother. He tried to scold my brother, who in turn gave (a) very suitable reply (in) justifying his action.

The Judge angrily asked (my) brother whose sons we were, to which very proudly and (in a) most dignified manner gave fathers name and designation. It had desired effect on the Judge who cooled down, started making apology and volunteered to render help to me. Brother politely but firmly refused the offer, took me to the hospital for treatment and on return narrated the whole incident to Father. Father listened to Motika calmly. Next day the Judge walked into Fathers Chamber, apologised to him, inquired (about) my health and commended Motika for his bold step in defending his younger brother.

The second school we all attended was Sandip Cargail High School. The school was a little distance from our house. Our house was situated on the bank of a big tank. Father's Court was near our house and the girl's school close to the court where my sisters had their education.

It was in early thirties. The Bengal Terrorist and Non-Cooperation movements were at (its) highest peak. One day a big crowd assembled in front of our house begging father not to attend his office. Father at first told them as to why he could not accept their request. The crowd having failed to convince him decided to lie down on the ground to prevent him going to the Court. Father was determined. His duty came first, so he just walked over and through them without looking back even once. The crowd dispersed peacefully but later some of them came to beg his forgiveness.

My brother Sonaka was short tempered but frank, whereas I was mischievous. We often used to fight on petty matters. We used to race, climb trees and swim in the big tank in front of our house. Invariably I was the loser but that did not deter my spirit and accept his challenge. Those days Sonaka's ambition was to become (a) Pilot, where (as) I was keen to become a Sailor. Later (in life) we changed our place in selecting our profession.