Wednesday, January 05, 2000

Post-Matriculation – Lillooah and outbreak of World War II

After appearing in Matric in March 1941 I too left for Lillooah. Second World War started in September 1934. In 1940, Sonaka after passing his Matric joined the Royal Indian Navy as a Boy with HMIS Bahadur. Thus he became a Sailor which was my childhood dream, and ambition. I joined Govt Commercial Institute, Calcutta as a first year Commerce student.

In December 1941, Japan attacked Pearl Harbour in the Pacific and within a few months captured the Philippines, Indo-China, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Sumatra, Java and Burma. We used to see lot of troops movement all rushing towards Assam and East Bengal to prevent Japanese Imperial Army invading India. Taking advantage of the precarious position faced by the British Govt, Mr. Gandhi leader of the Indian National Congress declared his “Quit-India” movement in August 1942. But Qaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah told his followers not to listen to the Congress and called upon all Indian Muslims to face the threat from Japanese and help the Govt.


Sonaka came on leave before he was assigned to HMIS Jamuna as Leading Signalman. I was much impressed to see him in Naval Uniform and his fluency in English, which I was lacking although I was a College student. This gave me a few sleepless nights pondering over how to improve English. After some deliberation I came to the conclusion that I must follow Sonaka’s footstep…but should I also become a Sailor?

The answer was not forthcoming. In the meantime I joined the Air Raid Prevention (A.R.P) Organisation in Howrah as a Telephone Operator. After training I was posted to Lillooah Reporting Centre. At this time a cousin came from Assam for his interview at the Fort William for Viceroy’s Commission (V.C.O) but was rejected. I enquired as to why he did not apply for Kings Commission being a graduate. He explained as it was difficult to become Viceroys Commission Officer it was not so easy to become Kings Commissioned Officer. I was not satisfied and told him if I ever join it would be as Kings Commissioned Officer. He laughed at my high and what he thought to be “fruitless ambition”. I did not like his remarks and made up my mind.

Soon after that I saw an advertisement in The Statesman for young people between 18 and 21 years to join the Royal Indian Air Force (R.I.A.F) as General Duty (G.D) Pilot. While going to college I used to see fighter planes landing and taking off from Red Road at the Maidan. The young pilots walking on Chowringhee Street with wings on their breast pocket thrilled me. I got necessary prospectus and application forms. Without consulting my brothers I sent my application to District Magistrate, Howrah.

The D.M. Mr.Hartley called me for an interview. I was then officially less than 18 years old so he asked me to apply later. But I was quite adamant and requested him to forward my application. Seeing my enthusiasm he forwarded my application to Divisional Commissioner. I was sent for by the Divisional Commissioner Mr.S.K.Haldar I.S.S at Cinsurah, who was a friend of Father. The board found me suitable but in view of my age deferred me till I attained 18 years of age in January 1943.


On the night of 24/25th December 1942 Japanese Zero fighters bombed Calcutta and Khidderpore Dockyards. Under blackout I rushed my bicycle to the A.R.P Centre when the air raid signal was on. As I got down from my cycle I met Mr. Hartley, the D.M, who was our Chief Warden. He admired my courage and enquired why I didn’t wait for the “all clear”. Without pause I told him that hen it would be too late. He remarked, “No wonder why you wish to become a pilot”.

Although the air raid was negligible, yet it created considerable panic. All education institutes were temporarily closed. I took the opportunity to visit Assam which had by then become the battle front since the Japanese had captured Kohima. I told about my intention to join RIAF as pilot to my sister, who did not like the idea since Sonaka was already in the Navy. However, they did not discourage me. On my return from Assam I received the letter from Commissioner for his interview again. On the appointed date I reported at Cinsurah. There were 15 candidates. Except me all were rejected and my application was forwarded to the final selection board at Lucknow.

During my infancy twice I was down with pneumonia, which left my lungs weak and often I sued to suffer from cold and cough. I was aware of the rigid medical board which I was to face. So I started breathing exercise. My brothers thought I would be rejected by the Medical Board, so why not gain experience at Govt expenses!

In March 1943 I was called by the Central interview Board at Lucknow. When I reached the Secretariat Building there were 25 candidates. The Board was presided by a Major General who was the Area Commander. Here too I was the only candidate selected for the Air force and was told to proceed to New Delhi next day for Medical. On reaching New Delhi I reported myself at the RAF Safdarjang Air Base where I was examined thoroughly by six doctors. It was about lunch time when they finished with me. An RAF Sergeant who was with me all along told me that I could go home and my result would be communicated later. I was not willing to leave him on his words. I asked him if I could leave with some hope. He was quite friendly, told me to wait and went inside the office. After about 5 minutes he came out and said “you are in, Congratulations Sir”. I immediately rushed to the nearest post office and sent a telegram to Hoontika. I spent a few more days in New Delhi in seeing all historical places and then returned to Lillooah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home