Tuesday, January 04, 2000

Life as an Orphan in Assam - Meeting Rosie

We soon realised how cruel people could be towards orphans. With the death of Father and Mother we lost the warmth and affection of our uncles and aunties who displayed their lip sympathies only. Their attitude did not escape our keen, observant but innocent eyes. Being more sensitive than others I suffered in silence.

After our arrival from Calcutta for a few days we were treated quite sympathetically but it did not last long. Since there was no servant in the house we had to do all the domestic works. For me the worse ordeal was to carry on my lap our youngest cousin. He was more fond of me than his mother. As a result he freely urinated on my lap which I had to endure in silence. If I put him down the devil used to scream drawing aunties attention, who did not spare me for making her child cry. For food, we had to eat whatever was placed before us on enamel plates. If we asked for more we received good scolding from our cousin (sister). Since we did not know any Assamese then, we were rebuked for speaking in Bengali which they could not understand.

Uncle got us admitted in Jorhat Baptist Mission School which was very close to our house. Since uncles eldest son was older than Sonaka and was then studying in Class VII, he did not want to us to join the same class although we were promoted and carried transfer certificates from Calcutta. Under the pretext that we did not know Assamese he put both Sonaka and me in Class VI, although there was Bengali (available as a curriculum) in the school. For our maintenance Hoontika used to send Rs. 40/= to Uncle. With this amount we bought second hand books and paid our school fee which was very cheap. At times our maternal Uncles out of pity gave us a pair of shirt and short. We did not have any religious teaching, so we have not learnt to read the Holy Quran for which I have always regretted. To keep us indoor Uncle and Aunty often told us ghost stories which had such adverse effect on my tender mind that at night I could not remain alone. Even (while) going to the bathroom I had to take my little brother. I managed to overcome the fear in 1944 as a Cadet in the jungles of Dehra Dun.

Because of abrupt change in language we could not make good results but managed to get through in 1935. In the final exam of 1936 I failed to get promotion to Class VIII. In 1937 I did well and was promoted but due to some change we took our transfer and was admitted in Jorhat Bezbaruah High School. This school did not have a good reputation but no one tried for us to get admitted in the Jorhat Govt High School although the Head Master Zahiruddin Ahmed was a family friend. At this stage unable to stay any longer with Uncle we shifted to our own house. Our eldest cousin became our guardian and we had a cook too.

Out attraction to Bengal was so acute that in 1940 Sonaka after appearing in Matriculation left for Lillooah near Howrah to stay with Hoontika, who had by then become a charge man in the Carriage and Wagon Workshop and was also married. Babu and Eileen also joined Hoontika. Motika was doing some private business and Noquika had joined the firm of Sir Adamjee Hajee Dawood in Calcutta, they too were staying with Hoontika.

I was promoted to Class X ands being all alone moved to Barbheta to stay with Uncle Manick. One day he scolded me for damaging his radio. It was just a bit too much for me, so without consulting anyone I took my transfer certificate and left for Dibrugarh reaching there late at night by bus. Sister and brother-in-law were happy to see me. When I told them as to why I had come they assured me not to worry. Next day my brother-in-law who was a Seniour Teacher got me admitted in the Dibrugarh Govt High School. This was one of the best school in Assam at that time. The teachers were highly qualified, strict but fatherly towards the students. The school had a good reputation in academic and sports. Looking back I feel that I made a bold but wise decision by going over to Dibrugarh to complete my school education.

I stayed in Dibrugarh for just one year which was one of my best years. Brother-in-law was of reserved natured but kind hearted. He loved me but I was afraid of him. I had good friends who used to ask me or badminton. While going to school and to play badminton I used to see Rosie, second daughter of Mr.Abdullah, Manager, Times of Assam Press. She was also appearing in Matric as a private student. Her charm and gracefulness fascinated me and through my friend Prince I made lot of efforts to meet and talk to her but did not succeed. I kept on admiring her from a distance; sent her my school notes through Prince and in return at times received roses from her which gave me an indication that she too liked me.

Days passed rather fast. Time for our Test Exam came and just before that I was down with Chicken Pox which kept me indoors for nearly a month. I managed to get through the test but during the next three months made a determined effort. I got necessary help and guidance from Brother-in-law and other teachers who helped us in our preparation for exams. Most probably Brother-in-law was aware of my liking for Rosie. He had something to do with our seating arrangements, so by design or mere coincidence I found Rosie very close to my seat in the Examination Hall!!

Though I was not very good in Math’s I passed Matriculation in Second Division and Rosie in Third Division in 1941.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home