Saturday, January 08, 2000

Life as a Gentleman Cadet

Having gone through the first encounter with Army life I returned to my allotted Room No 40, which was also my personal number in B Company. Near the door stood and elderly Punjabi Bearer, who helped me in unloading the burden I was carrying. The bearer was an old hand. Many like me have passed through him in the past. When I explain3d to him that I did not know much of Urdu, he started off in broken English, gave me a short lecture about life of Cadet which was though tough yet could be interesting, provided I kept on smiling. According to his advice I tried out my dress which he could take to Dhobi (laundry) for pressing. With his help I put on boots and putties. When finished I looked myself in the mirror and my memory flashed back to that photograph of Father in boot and patty. I had a felling that though it would not be same as Air force yet I would like this new life.

Next morning my bearer woke me at 6 a.m. gave me “Chotta Hazri” and also hot water for shave. I got up quickly and got ready for morning inspection by Company Sergeant Major (CSM). Exactly at 7 a.m. the same tough looking soldier whom we met previous day ordered us to fall in and introduced himself as CSM Brown. After his usual shouting and yelling he took us to the lecture hall for Commandants welcome address at the double. Thereafter we were divided into small squads; each squad had a Corporal or Sergeant as our instructor who taught us elementary military subjects. Thus from 2Novemebr 1943 my cadet training started in the Army.

I almost left (the) Army in the first week of my training. It was the first Saturday we were out on the 16 miles cross country Route March in full Field Service Marching Order (F.S.M.O). We started at 7 a.m and after covering first 3 miles in an hour we had short halt. We were expected to maintain 3 miles per hour speed. At the second halt I felt burning sensation under my feet. From then on blisters had formed and I started limping. After second halt blisters had burst and I could hear the hissing sound inside my boots every step that I took. My socks started shrinking inside my boot and I gradually started falling behind others. When I finally reached Dutta OTS totally exhausted my Bearer helped me in climbing the steps. In my room he took off my boots and socks which were red with blood. He went away quickly to fetch hot water and I cried unable to bear the pain. My bearer returned with hot water, washed my feet and applied some foot powder under my feet. With great difficulty I put on a (pair of) woolen sock and reached the office to hand in my resignation. It was part 1 P.M and being Saturday there was no one in the office. So I decided to submit the resignation letter on Monday. Next morning I got up late. I felt under my feet which was pretty tender but not like the previous day. After breakfast my bearer applied some local medicine, explained to me the cause of the blisters and how to take precautions. Monday morning I got up very fresh. All tenderness under my feet had disappeared. I felt like giving another trial to my physical endurance. Next Saturday I marched 18 miles without a single blister. Thanks to my bearer, I am now in the Army for (the) past 24 years.

In early January 1944 we were divided into two groups based on our training result(s). I along (with) 70 others left Lahore for Dehra Dun to join Indian Military Academy (IMA), and the other group to O.T.S Belgaum. Before the war selection for I.M.A was by open competition on all India basis and the training was of two years duration. However, due to war the training period was reduced to six months to train Emergency Kings Commissioned Officer. We were addressed as Gentleman Cadet (G.C) and in spite of war condition maintained some pre-war traditions of this Institution.

On our arrival we were accommodated in P (Preliminary) Company near DhobiGhat. After a month C and P Company passed out and we moved to Kinglsey Block to join C and D Company. I was in 7 Platoon of C Company. My Platoon Commander was one Lieutenant (Later Captain) Young, a British Army officer. For some unknown reasons he did not like me much. On very minor points he awarded me extra drill. His hostility towards me increased when I refused to give him weekly two Beer Coupons which I had promised to a fellow Madrasi cadet, but agreed to give him from next week. This refusal infuriated him and (he) threatened me. It did not take long for him to apply his threat.

On Saturdays we had arms cleaning parade. Near the breach of my rifle there was a rusty patch which I tried to remove but could not. I requested him to give me a chit so that I could take my rifle to the armourer who could use wire gauge to remove the rust, but Lieut Young refused and awarded me extra drill. Next Saturday again the rust was found, I was taken before the Company Commander in Charge, who awarded me 7 days Confinement to Lines (C.L). Following Saturday (the) same thing happened and the Company Commander gave me 14 days C.L. On completion of 14 days C.L I was again charged for rusty rifle and awarded 28 days C.L. By this time I had done 49 days C.L. but the rust in the rifle remained stubbornly!

When I was again marched before the Company Commander on same charge by Captain Young, the Company Commander was obliged to take me before the Commandant, Brigadier Jones D.S.O. The charge was serious and I was expecting withdrawal from I.M.A. brigadier read out the charge, asked me to say guilty or not-guilty. I pleaded guilty and requested if I could say something in my defense. When permitted I narrated the cause of this long punishment due to rust in the rifle. He sent for Captain Young and enquired as to why the rifle was not sent to armourer, when I requested him for the same. Captain Young could not give any satisfactory reply and was ordered to leave the office. After studying my progress report he said, “Well, you seem to be doing quite well. But in view of the present case, I am relegating you to next course”, and was marched out. I was prepared for withdrawal and the relegation order came as a pleasant surprise, which actually meant getting Commission in August instead of June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home