Friday, January 07, 2000

From Air force to the Army- Dutta OTS

Due to heavy storm our train was running much behind schedule. Instead of reaching at 8:30 P.M. we reached Poona at 5:30 A.M. next morning. I enquired from RTO who directed me to the Parsee Orphanage near Kharkvasla lake where the RIAF Institute was located. On arrival I was well received by the Staff, who conducted me to my dormitory, indicated my bed, lockers etc and finally gave me the programme schedule.

We were called Officer Cadets, got our complete set of uniform and started our new life in earnest. Life was not too rigid. Every morning we had physical training for 20 minutes. After breakfast an hour of drill and up to lunch we had games and after an early dinner we could go to the city.

Hardly a month had passed when I started receiving letters from sisters requesting me to come back. They had heard that the life of a pilot is too short! I started feeling a bit depressed and realised that without their blessings I would not be able to make a successful career.

Final exam was due in July. Thereafter we would be sent to Jodhpur for Basic Flying and thereafter to Ambala for Advance Flying Training. I was good in Drill and study as such there was (to be) no escape. So I pretended to be colour blind. The Commandant was keen that I should not leave the Armed Forces, so offered me my second choice – The Indian Army – and gave me a day to think (it) over.

I was in a fix!

How would I find myself as a civilian? What would happen to my challenge to get into the Armed Forces as Kings Commissioned Officer? After weighing all pros and cons, I accepted the offer and was sent to Headquarters 221 Group RAF in Bombay for interview by Air Vice Marshal Vincent.

The Air Vice Marshal received me cordially and promised to forward my case to GHQ (India) with his recommendation. I enquired from him how long it would take to get a reply, which he estimated not more than 15 days.

Same evening I left for Calcutta as a civilian but with hope that I shall soon return to uniform.

It was August 1943 and the entire month waited anxiously for the letter from GHQ but in vain.

In September I appeared Intermediate Commerce as a private student. I was gradually feeling dejected when in October I got the long awaited letter from GHQ.

I was to report to Dutta Officers Training School, Lahore by 1st November. Accordingly I left Howrah by Toofan Mail. This time only a few person came to see me off.

On reaching Lahore, a tough looking soldier met me and rudely enquired if I was for Dutta O.T.S. When I nodded my head he told me to wait in the waiting room, where a few more like me had already collected. After sometimes he appeared and ordered us to follow him.

Outside the railway station we saw two military trucks. He ordered us to put our luggage in one and then shouted at the top of his voice “Fall In”, “Look sharp Sir, Look sharp”. A few amongst us, who didn’t know the meaning of the order actually pulled out their handkerchief, started wiping face to look really “sharp”. This infuriated the soldier who just yelled, “Stand S-t-i-l-l-l”.

At this they actually dropped their handkerchiefs!

When order was restored he pulled out a paper and called our roll. After that we were ordered to step into the other waiting truck and left for our destination. Most of us fresh from Schools and Colleges, were numbed by this first encounter with Army life. I was more surprised as I had more gentlemanly treatment in the Air force not long ago.

Dutta O.T.S was situated in one wing of the F.C. College.

As soon (as) we got down from the truck, the same soldier shouted “Fall In” and ordered us to double march to two big tents pitched at the far end of the compound – marked “Barbers Shop”.

Here about 20 chairs each were placed in (a) circle and behind each chair stood a barber ready with his clipper for operation. We hardly sat down; the brutes mercilessly gave us such a close crop that it was impossible for anyone to recognise us. No sooner the barbers were through with their operation, the soldier again appeared from somewhere and ordered us to move to the Quarters Masters Store, at the double. Here we were issued with clothing, equipments etc. Having collected our stores, again we moved at the double to (the) Bookstore. After this we were left to ourselves by the soldier. What surprised me most was not only the rough and rude behaviors of the soldier, but frequent use of filthy and vulgar slang’s.

I had picked up a few during my association which I managed to get rid off after a long time.