Saturday, January 01, 2000

Forward

Everything must have a beginning as well as and end. Similarly with birth there is death. Birth is an accident whereas death is a certainty. In between Allah Pak wants us to carry out His mission in the world, So, before death which shall come, unannounced and all of a sudden, we must constantly look back, see what we have done, (and) how much we have achieved. This review must go on till the end of our mission in this beautiful world which is filled with pitfalls. Therefore before the end one must record all that he has done so that others may get some benefit out of it.

For quite sometimes I was contemplating to compile my biography for the use and benefit of my only son. Since his birth I have been constantly on the move with various assignments and activities. The thought remained in my mind but opportunities would not come in my way until I was posted to Rangoon, Burma in April 1966, as Military Attaché to the Embassy of Pakistan. There too, diplomatic life was so hectic that I had to postpone my thoughts on the subject.

In January 1967, I came to Dacca to attend the Regimental Colour presentation ceremony of the 1st Battalion, The East Bengal Regiment (the Seniour Tigers) by Commander-in-Chief Pakistan Army Gen. A.M.Yahya Khan, H.Pk, H.J. An old colleague and friend Lt.Col M. Rahman, AEC asked me why I should not record about this Battalion I had the honour and privilege to Command during the India-Pakistan War of September 1965 in West Pakistan. Inspired by his urge I started writing the period I commanded under the title "With The Bengal Tigers".

In January 1968 my elder brother Ziaul Haque (Sonaka) along with his family came to Rangoon on a short visit. I showed him the manuscript. His comments were most valuable and inspired by his talk I decided this adventure with the hope that at a later date my son must know who I am, where I came from, how I struggled in my life, what difficulties I had to face etc. In this I sincerely hope and pray that Allah Pak grant me strength, wisdom and guidance to put down all about me.

So, Oh Allah please help me.


Ameen