Thursday, January 06, 2000

The first Assamese Muslim Pilot in the RIAF

It was in April 1943 Sonaka came from Bombay on his annual leave.

In early March I received information from RIAF Headquarters asking me to join their Basic Training Centre in Poona. Since I was the first Assamese Muslim to join the RIAF as a Pilot, my photo appeared in the Assam Tribune. My colleagues in the A.R.P gave farewell party. Sonaka returned from Assam at the end of his leave and both of us together left for Bombay. Hoontika, Noquika and others came to see us off at the Howrah Station.

Throughout our long journey we remained quiet, deep in our respective thoughts. On reaching Victoria Terminus Bombay we found Sonaka had a day before joining and had two days to report at Poona. We moved into a Hotel and Sonaka took me around to see important places in Bombay. Next day we took a taxi and went to the Naval Dockyard. The great steel door opened and Sonaka in his white naval uniform briskly walked up to it, looked back once to wave me good-bye and disappeared.

I felt a little pang in my heart and felt as if the giant gate had just swallowed my brother. I returned to the hotel feeling very lonely.

Following day I again reached Victoria Terminus and put my luggage in a Second Class compartment in Poona Mail, Most unexpectedly Sonaka turned up to see me off. When the train steamed out he kept waving his hand as long we could. When I could see him no more I had tears in my eyes for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home